Thursday, July 21, 2016

People Love Drama...Side effect of the ME3 Disease!

As I was beginning my workout this morning, I turned on Fox News to listen to the top news of the morning.  I like Fox News, but like all news channels, Fox sometimes falls into the quagmire of "Drama".  And there they were, Fox and Friends dumping all over Ted Cruz for his speech the night before at the Republican National Convention.  Now, before roll your eyes and click to move on from this blog, please know that I am not writing to defend Cruz nor will I dump on Fox News.  I wish to look at another aspect of this issue.

It seems that Ted Cruz didn't do what the masses expected of him.  He stood his ground and that created drama, booing and news spin.  People love drama!  So why such a back-lash against Cruz? Why do people love drama so much?  Why was Cruz so wrong for standing up?

I believe part of the issue stems from what I call the ME3 Disease.   What is the disease of ME3 you ask?  It is the constant struggle of Me-Me-Me!  It's the dilemma of making everything revolve around ME!  For example, Social Media is a byproduct of ME3.  Social media is about me; what I want, when I want it, how I want it and where I want it.  Notice the I, I, I, me, me, me.  Social media feeds the sinful desire to put self first, above all things.  Getting angry when McDonald's doesn't give me my hamburger in the drive thru in 5 seconds or less.  ME3 is what has pushed our society into such a polarized state.  We live in a time where ME3 is easily fed and nourished.  We can easily see the results of ME3.  As Trump puts it, "It's a disaster!"  ME & I disrespects others.  It creates polarization.  It stops progress.  It creates necessary drama.  It keeps people angry.  It gives power to bloggers who demonize everything and everyone with whom they disagree (drama creators).  It creates an unforgiving environment.  It creates a judgmental atmosphere; where people are quick to judge others.  A disaster!    

How do we cure ME3?  It takes more than a simple shot or pill.  It's only eradicated with a long-term approach.  It's a regiment of humility!  Yes, humility!

What happened to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (Matthew 7:12).  What happened to "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves," (Philippians 2:3).  What would happen if people, even politicians would practice these two life principles?  WOW!  I bet things would get done.  I bet polarization would be much less.  I bet drama would be reduced...sorry Fox News!  I bet there would be less anger.  I bet there would be more forgiveness.  There would less bloggers that demonize people and events. People would not be quick to judge others and more into discerning their motives.  NOT A DISASTER!

Was Ted Cruz right or wrong for what he did last night?  I will leave that for you to decide on your own.  But his actions and the reaction to his actions reminded me that I am commanded to treat others they way I want to be treated and I am to put others ahead of my own needs and desires.  

Do you have ME3?  Here is a treatment plan that can cure: 

  1. Spend more time reading things that will uplift others and you.  That means less social media.
  2. Treat others the way you want to be treated.
  3. Put other people before you.
  4. Respect others whether you agree with them or not.
  5. Don't judge others, but discern their motives by looking at their actions.
  6. Be humble.
These things are hard, but the returns, what you get in return for doing these things will be tremendously GREAT!  You will see that finding truth......worx!
Russ

No comments:

Post a Comment